Getting on track

To be completely honest with you world history confuses me and I have been slightly overwhelmed with doing this blog. I will try and power through it.




Last week I got some pretty interesting feedback on my post that I'm grateful for. I will share a couple of their ideas before going into a new post. One response I got was referring to Indo-Aryan migration theory and here's a wiki link that was shared with me. It speaks of migrations happening between 1000 and 2000 BCE.


Another was a suggestion that the migration "had something to do with the 12 tribes of Israel being banished away."

These comments really helped me to pinpoint the area of the timeline I'm referring to. Which is good because I had no idea what part of the timeline I was referring to. The first link is referring to the time period taking place during the second millennium BCE. and the second comment was referring to something that is believed to have taken place around the 7th century BCE. Both huge factors on where the Germanic tribes came from and both very useful tidbits of information. So thank you guys very much. 


Today, I am going to try and focus more on the 2nd century BCE since there is not enough information on the Germanic tribes before that time. 


The one man who distinguishes the Germans from the rest, Pytheas.

According to The Early Germans by Malcom Todd, there wasn't anymore information on the Germans besides Pythaes mentioning them among others during his voyage mentioned in my last post. The first clear indication of peoples who were not the Celts and who came from far to the north of them, registered in the late second century BCE. A huge miscellaneous throng of northerners endangered the northern frontiers of the Roman world. Around this time, Poseidonius of Apamea distinguished the Germans from the Celts and Scythians. A generation after Poseidonius, Rome was to come in contact with the western Germans, introducing a long relationship ultimately leading to the transformation of Europe.

While reading Taylor's book History of Germany, he also notes the Greek navigator, Pytheas who voyaged around the Baltic and mentions the Goths. (Which is good, because I see where my two books are connecting and now I understand the timeline. Yay!) There is no other information until he says "the Romans were called to make their personal acquaintance." Like when you meet that bad boy/girl that you just can't resist. ?? maybe? Lol Now, I have a better understanding and hope to post more this week. :-) 

Comments