This section of my blog will be dedicated to the history of Germany starting from 330 BC continuing into present times. 

Why am I studying German History?

I'm studying German history for two reasons.

For the first reason, I feel the The American Historical Association says it best and in the most general form.


"The answer is because we virtually must, to gain access to the laboratory of human experience. When we study it reasonably well, and so acquire some usable habits of mind, as well as some basic data about the forces that affect our own lives, we emerge with relevant skills and an enhanced capacity for informed citizenship, critical thinking, and simple awareness....
Some history depends on personal taste, where one finds beauty, the joy of discovery, or intellectual challenge. Between the inescapable minimum and the pleasure of deep commitment comes the history that, through cumulative skill in interpreting the unfolding human record, provides a real grasp of how the world works."
I think it's important for us to see where our ancestors failed and where they were successful. How can we learn from them to become better citizens, better cities and ultimately forming better countries and nations. They have provided us with the skills we need to survive. We just need creative thinkers to combine their capabilities with our own to reach higher heights and continue to reach new beginnings.

And for the second reason 

I wish to have a true understanding of the German culture so that my novel can be accurate to a point where someone from that culture would read it and feel as if
it was written by one of their own. I mean German is in my blood.

Comments